Silent Sunday in Bohol
Tagbilaran City, Bohol has a pretty large Deaf community. By far, the majority of these deaf attend the Catholic Church as do about 90 % of all Filipinos outside of Southern and Central Mindanao. The other 10% of the population attend various Protestant churches. The Tiptip Deaf Church in Tagbilaran represents only a handful of Independent Protestant Christian churches in the whole Philippines that cater exclusively to the Deaf. The congregation in this beautiful little church runs between 30 to 50 members on any given Sunday. One Sunday of each month features a fellowship meal before the service and has been know to attract over 100 deaf persons from the community.
Many Deaf in Tagbilaran have married and now have hearing children so that the Tiptip Deaf Church is planning to add children’s Sunday School so that whole families can attend. In addition the church will begin focusing on activities to make the services more relevant to men.
Click on the link below to view a video of a typical Sunday service.