As 2013 left us with our world shaken, testing our resolve we moved into 2014 not knowing how we were going to rebuild four schools and all the homes of our IDEA families that had been destroyed during the earthquake and typhoon. But just as the disasters seemed to come out of nowhere, the funding for our needs showed up the same way
Through the blessings God provided through so many caring people we were able to accomplish the following:
- 312 HOMES either built or repaired by IDEA for victims of the Bohol Earthquake or the Leyte Typhoon.
- 31 SCHOOL CLASSROOMS retrofit, renovated, repaired or built on Bohol and Leyte. All damaged either by the quake or the typhoon.
- All NEW ROOFS for the Bohol Deaf Academy dormitory bungalows and staff housing buildings. This IDEA high school has 85 deaf students who live and study on the campus.
- THREE ELEMENTARY SCHOOL DORMITORY BUILDINGS for the Deaf retrofit and renovated in response to the earthquake and typhoon. IDEA provides lodging and care for over 150 deaf children in these 3
On Going Work:
- Repair work on our main Deaf High School Campus buildings up at Bohol Deaf Academy.
- Repair work on new flood damage on three schools.
- Completion of the expansion phase of the Sagbayan, Bohol dormitory for the Deaf.
- Setting up IDEA’s new expanded shop for additional vocational training and employment for more deaf high school graduates and adult deaf.
- Expansion of IDEA fishing fly tying operation as we prepare to accept and train more deaf women as tiers.
- Turnover of an IDEA built 50 home subdivision in the town of Sagbayan, Bohol to the beneficiaries. These homes are replacement homes for people who lost their houses and property to the earthquake.
- Expansion of IDEA’s hearing testing and hearing aid fitting clinic in Tagbilaran City, Bohol.
- Continued efforts to place deaf school graduates in regular business in the community.
- Expand our Christian outreach program to deaf students and adults through a new tie-up with YWAM (Youth With A Mission) deaf volunteers.
Now that 2014 has come to a close we can look back on it as a time of rebuilding, recovering and rejoicing. We know that 2015 will also hold its share of triumphs and tragedies but we know that God has a plan for all these things and can turn disasters into blessings. So we wait in anticipation for what He holds for us and ask each day for wisdom and direction.